Tuesday, January 20, 2015

How to have a conversation with today's church (most denominations)

It's just getting old fast. Having the same convos with everyone. 

Church: aren't we great?

Person: no actually here's an area that is bad. 

C: wow. And I thought we were doing so well. 

P: I can help you fix it. 

C: well I'm not convinced you're right about this thing that you would know more about than us, but in any case we have a committee for that. 

P: do you have ppl on your Cmte that get this thing? 

C: no but they get church. 

P: but the church is causing  the problem with the thing. You're not getting the thing. 

C: have you ever served on a committee in church? 

P: no but this thing directly affects me and I'm an expert on this. 

C: well, you just don't understand church. There's more here than just that one thing. Look at how well we are doing ordaining women. 

P: you have women ministers here? 

C: no but our denomination does. 

P: then how does...wait, that isn't even the thing!  

C: why do you want to focus so much on one thing?  We're talking about Jesus and so many other things. 

P: yeah but you asked me about how great church was and here's an area where we can do better. 

C: you must not know about our church. Here's a different thing we faced a long time ago and we fixed it really good. Trust us. 

P: I don't think it was really fixed. Cuz it looks like maybe this thing is connected. 

C: of course we fixed it. It's our history. 

P: well even if you did, the thing I'm talking about is broken. 

C: broken isn't a word we like to use. 

P: fucked up, messed up, unchristian, ridiculous, stupid, WRONG. 

C: you know, your voice is important...but I hear that you're really angry.  This church is really about being happy and peaceful. 

P: then maybe this church isn't for me. 

C: really?!  But we're so great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment